International Members

The audition and application process to be an international member of The Young Americans is a holistic process that incorporates talent, work ethic, leadership, and communication skills.

Before joining a touring cast all new members of The Young Americans must complete a training program. The nine-month program takes place in Corona, CA and encompasses performance techniques in voice, dance, and acting, as well as courses that expand self-understanding and global awareness ,and develop teaching and musicianship skills. The training process is essential to ensuring that each cast member is ready to be an effective performer, teacher, and representative of The Young Americans.

For those international members whose primary language is not English, the audition and application process includes an English language proficiency evaluation. This helps us ensure that every new Young American has a high chance of successfully completing the training program.

How do I become a YA?

International citizens must audition to become a member of our performance company. Potential Young Americans, ages 17 to 21, who reside outside of the U.S., please fill out our Video Audition Form to provide your information and video link. Please see “Submit a Video” below for additional information.

Additional questions can be answered by contacting us at .

What happens if I am accepted as a member?

Those accepted into YA must first complete the training program at our California campus. Each new training begins in August and lasts 9 months. The training program is designed to prepare new members of The Young Americans for participation as a performer with The Young Americans’ International Music Outreach Tours. The training program is completed during the first year and works on developing performance techniques, teaching techniques and artistic growth. After you have successfully completed the training, you are then eligible for placement as a volunteer performer on International Music Outreach Tours in the USA as well as around the world.

How much does YA training cost?

The Music Outreach Training Program costs approximately $12,300 USD for the first year.

What visa do I need to train in the Young Americans program?

International citizens must apply for a visa to be in the U.S.A. for more than 90 days. Because all members of The Young Americans are volunteers and because international members are not eligible to attend our College, work visas and student visas do not apply. Section 101(a)(15)(B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act states: 

an alien (other than one coming for the purpose of study or of performing skilled or unskilled labor or as a representative of foreign press, radio, film, or other foreign information media coming to engage in such vocation) having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning and who is visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure.The Department of State’s regulations at 9 FAM 41.31 N13 define pleasure to include “tourism or family visits, medical reasons, participation in social events, armed forces dependents, dependents of crewmen, short courses of study, and amateur entertainers and athletes.”

This means that international members of The Young Americans must use the B-2 Visitor’s Visa to train in the U.S.A. as an amateur entertainer. The Young Americans will provide a letter of invitation with important details regarding your training such as your expected arrival and completion dates, your financial independence, and the purpose of our training program.

Once I get my visa, how long can I stay in the U.S.A.?

The visa explains your purpose of entry to the U.S.A. for anywhere from 1-10 years. Upon arrival in the U.S.A., Border Patrol representatives will confirm your information to ensure that you are here for valid reasons and then stamp your passport and I-94 document with an expiration date. This date is typically 6 months from the date of your arrival. We highly recommend you plan to return home for the 2-week Christmas break in December during your training time. This means that before the date of expiration, you must depart the U.S.A. for a short time. Upon your return, as long as your visa and reasons for being here are still valid, you should receive a new stamp with a new expiration date. This typically works well in conjunction with breaks in the training program for the holidays.

Where will I live during my training?

The Young Americans offer housing to members in an apartment complex next to our offices. The lease for the first year of training is for 8.5 months, from the end of July until the end of April. Rent ranges from $5,960-$7,530 per person. Monthly utilities are included, but members may be charged additional fees if average monthly utility costs per student exceeds $80. Members must also provide their own food.

Will I get paid during Young Americans performances or workshops?

No, all members of The Young Americans are volunteers. The Young Americans is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Interested in auditioning for The Young Americans? Here’s How!

Submit a Video

For those potential Young Americans who cannot audition in person, or who reside outside the United States, please fill out our Video Audition Form form to provide your information and video link. 

  • Videos must be no more than 5 minutes in length.
  • Videos must include a short introduction telling us why you would like to be a Young American.
  • All candidates must sing in their audition video. The song should be approximately 16-32 measures, or 30-60 seconds in length, and must be sung a capella (without music). You may sing any style song that you feel best shows your vocal range, style, and personality.
  • You may also include any of the following items in your video:
    • A second song of a different style (your second song can be done with live accompaniment such as guitar, piano or band)
    • A short dance routine showcasing as many styles as you would like
    • A short monologue
    • 16-32 measures of you playing an instrument (if you play more than one instrument you may include multiple clips)
    • A short video clip of a performance (if you are in a group in your performance, please provide an indication of your location in the group).
  • Please title your video to be the last 2 digits of the year you would like to be considered for (this is usually the year you graduate) underscore firstname underscore lastname (for example 18_John_Smith).
  • Video file format should be .MOV or .MP4 and should be no larger than 2 GB.

Additional questions can be answered by emailing us at

Audition Notifications for the Fall of 2019

All candidates will be sent an email notification of their audition results.

All audition notifications will be sent via email to the email address entered on the form below. For audition timeline details, please refer to

  • Applicants who are selected from their initial audition to continue in the audition process will be invited to complete our Self-Perception Questionnaire. This, along with the original audition video, notes, and scores, will be reviewed by a panel. Panel reviews will occur regularly throughout the year, typically in October, December, February, March, April, and early June.International candidates who are selected for Panel Review and whose native language is not English will be required to complete an English Proficiency exam called Accuplacer prior to their panel review. We will provide information on how to register for this exam via email.

  •  Final audition results will be sent via e-mail within 30 days following the Panel Review.

    International candidates who are selected from the Panel Review and whose native language is not English will also be required to complete a Skype interview in order to further assess English Proficiency prior to final notification of results.